Monday, August 15, 2011

Technology + Age = Disaster

I love old people.  No really, I do.  When I think of old people, I think of people like my grandmother.  She turns 90 in October and is one of the sweetest and most thoughtful people ever to exist on the planet we like to call "Earth".  I'm also very surprised that she is so mobile at her age!  We were just down in New Orleans a couple weeks ago and there were days where I had no idea where she was because she'd gone off to look at some stuff around town!  I hope I'll be like that when I'm 90.  Except not as a woman . . .




But as much as I love old people, there are quite a few that are just crabby.  You know what I mean: something doesn't work right or they don't understand something, so since you're the closest intelligent life form, all of that rage is directed right at your face.


Example: lady comes to the library trying to make some photocopies from a book.  Since the copying machine won't do what *she* wants it to do, it's automatically MY fault.  Now you may say that it's because I was the only staff on the clock at the time, but that's beside the point.

This is how I see old people, represented by a mathematical equation:





+




=







If it were up to me, I would find a way to get old people to avoid using any kind of technology at all costs.  The only problems are 1) it's not up to me, 2) I don't have any ideas for what to do, and 3) there are A LOT of old people.  But it sure would make things a lot less stressful on the technology-savvy if old people were banned from using things like computers.

Kudos to my grandma for sticking with the United States Postal Service and refusing to try using email.  I wish more old people were like you, Meema.



No comments:

Post a Comment