Saturday, September 24, 2011

7 Invaluable Lessons from BYU's Finest

As I have reflected on my time in Provo, I realized that there are many, many things that I've learned.  Let me tell you a few:

1) It's okay to be disrespectful to other people if you don't have a problem with what you're doing.

Example: Two students watching a video on a computer in the "No Shhh! Zone" of the library with the sound up to where everyone in the room can hear the video.  Okay, so maybe I'm not allowed to tell you to be quiet, but when your stupid video can be heard in a big room while people are trying to study, at least turn in down. Or get headphones.

2) Chewing and making loud noises with gum is cool.

Example: Kid is sitting behind me in a lecture smacking his gum and popping these loud, obnoxious bubbles.  Dude, I will break off your jaw.

3) Holding hands with someone doesn't necessarily mean you are "together".

Example: Couple walks across campus holding hands.  I ask them later, "Hey, so how long have you been dating?"  The response: "Oh, we're not 'official'."  Whatever THAT means...

4) Being racist is acceptable.

Example: Roommate has a friend celebrating her "Asian Birthday".  The conversation goes as follows:

Roommate: "Why is it your 'Asian Birthday'?"
Girl: "Because I'm turning 22!"
Roommate: "Okay, but I still don't understand."
Girl: "Oh well you know how all Asians hold up 2 fingers (a peace sign) in pictures?  That's why lol."
Roommate: "Wow... you do realize that was racist, right?"
Girl: "What?  I'm not racist."
Roommate: "What you just said was racist."
Girl: "Well it's not racist if it's true!"

*facepalm*  These are our future leaders, folks...

5) White rappers are cool.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYjG1llQVlA
Not to mention the fact that it's A LIBRARY.

6) It is taboo to put materials back where you found them.

Example: I find headphones, staplers and books that have been checked out in random places around the library.  Is it really that hard to be responsible (like the adult that you WANT to be) and take your stuff back?  Or should we just treat you like a child again and say, "Okay, so-and-so, let's clean up your toys!"

7) "Forgetting" things is a valid excuse.

Example: Class assignment is due, and there is at least one student who inevitably says to the professor, "Oh, I forgot that this assignment was due today.  Can I turn it in next class period?"  Um, NO.  You're old enough to be responsible for yourself and what you've been asked to do.

Example 2: You need your ID card to print on campus.  Students come to the desk EVERY DAY with the same issue: "I 'forgot' my ID card.  Can you send my print job to the printer for me?"  It's not that hard to bring your ID card to campus.  And if your assignment is really THAT important, you should make the effort to bring everything that you need on campus with you.  Should I wipe your sorry butt for you too while I'm printing your homework?

There are just so many things to learn in college.  I'm just glad that these things have been included in my education.  And with no added tuition!  SCORE!

3 comments:

  1. Well done, Matthew Green. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you totally used "you're" wrong. just so you know. ("when you are stupid video can be heard")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your eagle eye, dear sister. I changed it, just for you!

    ReplyDelete