Friday, January 28, 2011

BYU/SA: Most Controversial Organization at BYU

I was always convinced that BYU/SA was the biggest waste of time and resources.  Really?  Am I paying tuition in support of the supposedly helpful organization?


But something happened last semester that started a bizarre chain of events.  One day, as I was standing in the hallway waiting for my professor, I was approached by my old Music Theory teacher, Dr. Thornock.  As we talked, he asked if I would be interested in serving on the School of Music (SoM) Student Advisory Council.  I accepted.  My only obligations?  Representing the string department of the School of Music and going to SAC meetings every other week.  No big deal.

Well, during the first meeting, I was asked to be part of the College of Fine Arts and Communications (CFAC) Student Advisory Council.  A slightly bigger obligation, but still manageable.  I would attend those meetings on the off-weeks of the SoM council meetings.  Since I didn't have much to do on Fridays, I was okay with that.

Then starts Winter semester.  I get a call from Shelbi, the other student on the CFAC advisory council.  Since one of the other students graduated, there was a vacancy that I was asked to fill on the BYU/SA Student Advisory Council.  I hesitated for a minute. . . trying to understand what exactly was going on.  BYU/SA. . .  Aren't they the guys who send me obnoxious Facebook invites trying to get me to support certain groups and people and events that I never end up going to?  Yeah. . . that would be them. . . and they want ME on their Student Advisory Council?  Hmmm. . .

I accepted the invitation.  But then I went back and thought, "Wait a minute. . . I'm part of that organization that no one likes. . . CRAP!"  But as I've gone to SAC meetings and gotten to know the people that work with BYU/SA, I've come to realize that they're just like me: students trying to do well in school and make something of themselves.  It's been good getting to know what kinds of things go around on campus and what we can do to help.  As the Student Advisory Council, we are the "bridge" between the student body and the administration.  I've been able to see what that really means since I joined BYU/SA.  I never thought I would say anything like that. . . ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment